Professor Evaluation "iceLIFE" Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences RUTGERS UNIVERSITY fall 99 with Uwe Kils
23 students enrolled - 21 finished
average of iceLIFE class - in brackets: (average of all courses @ IMCS - all 300 level courses @ RUTGERS)
(1: strongly disagree - 3: neutral - 5: strongly agree)
1. The instructor was prepared for class and presented the material in an organized manner: 4.57 (4.59 - 4.57)
2. The instructor responded effectively to students comments and questions: 4.80 (4.55 - 4.57)
3. The instructor generated interest in the course material: 5.00 (4.56 - 4.76)
4. The instructor had a positive attitude toward assisting all students in understanding course material: 4.87 (4.63 - 4.61)
5. The instructor assigned grades fairly: 4.76 (4.25 - 4.18)
6. The instructional methods encouraged student learning: 4.80 (4.30 - 4.53)
7. I learned a great deal in this course: 4.73 (4.45 - 4.59)
8. I had a strong prior interest in the subject matter and wanted to take this course: 4.21 (4.20 - 4.35)
(1: poor - 3: neutral - 5: excellent ) 9. I rate the teaching effectiveness of the instructor as: 4.80 (4.39 - 4.46)
10. I rate the overall quality of the course as: 4.80 (4.43 - 4.58)
Questions added by department or instructor: 11. Do you advise an iceLIFE class is not too far off? 4.87
12. Do you advise an iceLIFE class should be installed in the future as a permanent RUTGERS course? 4.93
13. Do you advise the associated WEB server is a useful tool? 4.73
14. Do you advise the technology of the "Smart Classroom" was functioning sufficient? 3.64
20. What did you like best about this course?
The way the course material was presented and the use of multimedia equipment.
The instructors extensive knowledge on Antarctica.
The information taught is cutting edge
It presents a fresh new feeling at a university that seems all too common.
It was very informative and creative.
I liked how we had the computer to use in our class.
Interesting and every class is different.
It provided very current information on a number of scientific issues that were of importance in the world today.
The topic of iceLIFE itself attracted me to the course. No other course at RUTGERS offered a course similar in content.
The ability to use the Smart Classroom for visual info about the antarctic and other class topics.
I appreciate the instructions, encouragement of student participation.
The professor really wants the students to learn a lot, instead of just memorizing facts.
21. If you were teaching this course, what would you do differently?
Not much - like the class as it is.
I don't think I could be so nice and positive on such a regular basis.
Some more films added to the course. I am sure National Geographic has some good films.
Have a few more in-class speakers.
Have the days split from one to two.
22. In what way, if any, has the course or the instructor encouraged your intellectual growth and progress?
I feel as though I've been to the places he's described.
In many ways, he has motivated us in respect to the marine science field. He told us many 1st hand anecdotes about the career.
A lot of the work in this class was done through the Internet. It provided us with up to date information, and taught us to use a computer in ways that will be important in our careers.
By encouraging us to study what interests us on our own. He showed us a little and tells us to go find more = active learning.
He has shown how to effectively use the INTERNET as a research tool & a means of communication between colleagues & other sources of info.
He brought a topic of iceLIFE and connected it to other topics selecting to the US environment.
His open format encouraged you to seek out for yourself and expand where you will.
Never knew so much life existed in arctic regions. Possibly minoring in Marine Science.
He made us want to come to class and made us interested in something we didn't know about.
23. Other comments or suggestions.
The only professor I've ever had that was happy about me calling him at home to answer questions. He got an A.
The use of a "Smart" Classroom greatly aids the classroom + learning environment. Although the connection was very slow at times. The use of the WEB allowed very recent information to be presented directly in class.
There should be a computer in the classroom to use to access the WEB from.
I think the computer should be installed permanently in the classroom.
More INTERNET access in the classroom.
Prof. Kils not only cares about us learning, but is an understanding down to earth instructor.