VO Sharing is daring: Open Science approaches to Digital Humanities
on Mondays, beginning on March 2, 2020, 16:45-18:15 (University of Vienna, main building, Hörsaal 41, 1st floor, staircase 8)
070265 VO Sharing is daring: Open Science approaches to Digital Humanities
Aims, contents and method of the course
The course gives an introduction to the Open Science movement and its applications in digital humanities subjects. Students are introduced to different definitions of Open Science, the motivations of the Open Science movement and the European Open Science landscape. The main focus is on Open Science tools that are applicable in students’ and researchers’ daily routines. These tools enable users to find openly available resources as well as to share their own research. Participants will have the opportunity to test these tools and to receive support in using them in the course of the semester.
Assessment and permitted materials
Assessment will be by written examination at the end of the course covering the content of the lectures and the tested tools.
Minimum requirements and assessment criteria
Minimum passing grade for the exam is 51%. Key readings for the lecture topics and Open Science tools to be tested by the students will be provided each week in the Wikiversity course, on which the examination will be based.
Content of the lectures and the tested Open Science tools.
The reading list and tools to be tested will be provided in this Wikiversity course.
Semester overview (SS2020)
- Mon 02.03. 16:45 - 18:15 Welcome to the semester, overview
- Mon 09.03. 16:45 - 18:15 Introduction to Open Science: definitions and terminologies
- Mon 16.03. 16:45 - 18:15 Introduction to open science: Networks & infrastructures
- Mon 23.03. 16:45 - 18:15 Open Science Preconditions: Identifiability
- Mon 30.03. 16:45 - 18:15 Open Science Preconditions: Legal issues I: Copyright
- Mon 06.04. EASTER HOLIDAY
- Mon 13.04. EASTER HOLIDAY
- Mon 20.04. 16:45 - 18:15 Open Science Preconditions: Legal issues II: Licensing
- Mon 27.04. 16:45 - 18:15 Open Science Preconditions: Legal issues III: Data privacy
- Mon 04.05. 16:45 - 18:15 OS Tools: Publishing papers
- Mon 11.05. 16:45 - 18:15 OS Tools: Publishing data
- Mon 18.05. 16:45 - 18:15 OS Tools: Finding papers & data
- Mon 25.05. 16:45 - 18:15 Open Methodology tools, Concepts of Open Evaluation
- Mon 01.06. PENTECOST
- Mon 08.06. 16:45 - 18:15 Try again, fail again, fail better: Example projects
- Mon 15.06. 16:45 - 18:15 Guest lecture: Open Access at the University of Vienna (Bernhard Schubert, Open Access Office)
- Mon 22.06. 16:45 - 18:15 Summary of the semester, questions about the exam, takeaways
- Mon 29.06. 16:45 - 18:15 EXAM